Monday 15 January 2018

WIP Matchbox DAF Pontoon Carrier Trucks

A number of years back, Paul from Plastic Warriors, posted his conversion of the Airfix Thornycroft truck with Coles Crane, into the much more useful for wargaming Thornycroft pontoon truck (Click here to see it)
Matchbox Super King DAF Truck.
Inspired by this, I thought that I could steal the idea and use the Matchbox Super King DAF flatbed truck as the basis for a post war pontoon carrier. After all, bridging assets are always useful, and having a couple of pontoon trucks would make a nice addition to my wargaming 'tail' elements. The pontoons are naturally enough from the Airfix Pontoon kit, or one of the many Hong Kong clones of that set.


If I stack the pontoons this way, I will need to fill in the hollows on the bottom of the pontoons.
The DAF trucks came in a rather 1970s green colour, so I removed as much of the original paint as possible by soaking in a bath of cheap Dettol, followed by using a wire brush head on a Dremel, to remove 85% of the original paint on the first truck. This was followed by an undercoat of grey primer spray paint, followed by a coat of Vallejo Iraqi Sand, and lastly a brown wash. At this point the first truck languished as I hadn't quite decided how to attached the pontoons.

I am considering cutting up some of the pontoon decking to add to the load.


Two years later, I acquired a second truck. This one I disassembled and bunged through the dishwasher with some extra wash tablets for extra paint stripping power. This loosed up a great deal of the paint, and I wire brushed off some more, to result in a good 90% removal of all the original paint. I then spray painted it a sandy/tan/earthy colour and applied a brown wash. This was a much simpler process, and I have been subjecting the majority of Battle and Super Kings I acquire to this process in order to prepare them for repainting.


1/72 Esci/Italeri Figure for scale.

I still have a great deal of work to do before these are complete but I am happy with what progress I have made so far. The final cargo load for both trucks, and the means of securing the load still have to be determined, but I have a couple of ideas I am planning on experimenting with.

7 comments:

  1. What a cool idea. I have heaps of pontoons - must look into the truck situation. Might need a vehicle to transport all my 'rubber' assault boats as well...

    I'm curious as to the army (armies) you are building here. Some years ago I allowed myself to be persuaded into developing a force for Brian's HARAD project, but I haven't done much with it since Brian left for greener pastures in the North Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I can't explain, I thought this was 'Jacko's' blog spot. Silly me. Gidday, Brian!

      Delete
    2. I did wonder about your first comment! These are designed to be used by a variety of modern period armies, but primarily ones that I will use as part of the Harad campaign.

      Delete
  2. I must try your dishwasher paint stripping technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very effective technique. I bung in an additional tablet when I do it. I have been told it will strip paint from plastic models too, but I haven't tried doing that yet!

      Delete
  3. Yours look better than mine Brian. Great work .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, but I still think your original can't be beaten!

      Delete