Saturday, April 18, 2015

105mm Light Guns - All Finished!

I've finished painting the scratch built 105mm guns I was working on in my last post. The initial plan was to use sections of Chux cloth to disguise elements of the build that were simplified for ease of rapid construction.

Three more painted 105mm guns.
 The Chux cloth proved to be too unwieldy, and too good at obscuring detail, that when I showed it to others, they suggested using bandage gauze instead (and even kindly supplied me with some:))

Comparison shot between the scratch builds and a actual model.

And while the bandage gauze certainly looks better, it is very fiddly to apply. The results are very promising, and certainly I hope to use the technique again in the future.

Side shot of the three guns.
 I have a few other scratch built guns that I think I am going to treat in a similar fashion using gauze to simulate netting over their position. I will try and layer the gauze to help create a more substantial netting effect.
Bandage gauze versus Chux cloth .
 If I make more scratch built 105mms, I will try and put some into sandbagged emplacements in order to add some variety to the stands - and obscure some more detail!

The three store bought models.
Overall I think they work well with the actual models, and their construction has proved to be interesting and enjoyable - two things that I think should be central to any hobby.

8 comments:

  1. One way you can make the gauze more usable is to soak it in PVA and let it dry it over a plasticine former modelled into the shape of the drape you want. This has the added advantage of leaving you with a removable piece that you can add or remove from your guns as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fitz,,
      That sounds like excellent advice for the next batch of guns that need netting!

      Delete
  2. Very cool project, now you need to make some FO stands :) 148cmdo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one Royal Marine FO stand already! I made him up as part of the British TOE for Goose Green - but more certainly couldn't hurt!

      Delete
  3. Drops of super glue to the same thing. Thats what I use.

    Excellent as always Brian. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul!
      It sounds like I have some experimenting to do!

      Delete
  4. Those are Great Works. Poker chip was A great Idea. Well made sir! Hey when I used that netting for some WW2 stuff I was making I put bits of Woodland Senic with some fine small weeds to look like branchs thorwn on top. It looked pretty good. Take care keep up the great post! Greyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greyson! Using Woodland Scenics stuff in the cam netting is a great idea - I bet it looked great! Paul at Plastic Warriors uses pouch tobacco for a similar effect. I'm drying out some tea leaves at the moment to experiment with - hopefully they may produce a similar effect. Take care:)

      Delete