Monday, April 6, 2015

WIP Scratch-Building 105mm Guns

In my quest for obtaining another three L118 Light Guns (See previous post here) I remembered that the kit came with an additional gun barrel so the US version of the gun could be made. I considered trying to have a crack at scratch-building  some more guns, with the idea that I could hide most of my sins under  netting.

Something like this, but thicker. Source Wikicommons - click here for details.
So when Ion mentioned it in the comments section of my last post, I figured "Why Not?' With that in mind, I hunted through my collection of useful bits and started making some guns.

Spare barrels, plastic card , sprue, bent wire, and Airfix wheels on a sample Formica base.

Oh, and a toy poker chip for a turntable.
 I've always found that if I have to scratch-build something, it is just as easy to make two or more based on a simplified design, rather than make one awesome model that I can't be bothered replicating due to lack of parts or time. My LCVP project (click here for details) is a prime example of that philosophy at work.

Three WIPs and an actual assembled gun.

I thought I could use parts of a Chux cloth as the netting. This part of the plan is subject to change :)
 The part of the project that is potentially going to be the most difficult is getting the netting right. It needs to be able to obscure the gun, but not so much that what I have made is entirely unseen. Getting that balance right will be the key to making this work.

Artists medium added to base, wire poles installed and more bits added to guns.
 Fortunately, I have a few ideas on how to achieve this, and the Chux cloth is only one of a couple of possible material choices
Behold the dodgy recoil mechanism!

The gun trail - Bent wire and Liquid Green Stuff.

Another view with an actual model of the gun for comparison.
 Since I was doing work on artillery, I figured I should also dredge out my M-102 and give it a touch up and a rebasing so it can be at the same standard as my light guns. I have some Atlantic not 122mms that are also due for the same treatment.

Since I was basing guns I figured I should finish off my Britannia Models M-102 Howitzer.
Monday is looking to be a great day for painting stuff!

12 comments:

  1. Nice idea- I tried something similar myself based on photos from the Falklands war where you could only see the barrel sticking out from the cargo net.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete,
      In the end the Chux cloth didn't work as well is hoped, but the use of bandage gauze did. I am quite happy with the final result which is in the next post.

      Delete
  2. nice work ! I'm not a "scratch-builder", but what I know, it's that it's very enjoying to do something like that !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam,
      I did have a lot of fun making these:)

      Delete
  3. Very cool, highly original work there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al,
      I'm getting inspired by your work with the Airfix Commando Kayaks - they are just fantastic!

      Delete
  4. A fine bodge sir! You won't need much netting, they'll look good after paint!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh!
      The next post shows them all painted up!

      Delete
  5. You say dodgy, while I say bodgy.

    Excellent work Brian. First class stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul!
      Hopefully you will will be as impressed with the breeching equipment I've made!

      Delete
  6. Wow great 105mm guns! Your crews will be very proud to service them! Well done Sir! I might try that one day. Take care:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Greyson! They have proved to be very useful anddurable so far. Take care:)

      Delete