Wednesday 15 May 2013

Airfix British Infantry

The great refurbishment project continues, with a small selection of the Airfix British Infantry (click here for PSR review). I only have a small selection of painted figures from the set - fortunately I do have a much larger selection of the unpainted figures - but since they still retained their paint jobs, I figured I would touch them up, wash them, base them, varnish them, and then post them!

Almost a Battalion's worth!
I have based them up as a 1943 CD3 British infantry battalion - sans the supporting stands and vehicles and a missing infantry stand in D company. Since there wasn't a suitable painted figure to act as the battalion command stand - and the officer figure from the set is more a figure to put on a command infantry stand - I decided to paint up one of the figures from the Matchbox British Infantry set. I also painted up a hard plastic Airfix gunner to put onto a stand with the orphan painted Airfix gunner that I acquired at the same time as the infantry. I painted these two additional figures using Vallejo English Uniform as I didn't want to try and match the original painters uniform colour with a complete figure as I didn't think I could get a close enough match to make it look right.

A patrol stand and two stands suitable for use as FOs or Staff Radio stands.

Each Rifle Company is meant to consist of one command infantry stand, and two infantry stands.I decided to use the same figure combinations (out of a very limited pool of painted figures) to create the stands for each company.

A Company. The command infantry stand is the stand on the right. The two stands with Bren guns are infantry stands.


B Company. same poses, different figures, different angle. 
The figures had been painted - much like the other sets by this painter - with enamel paint, that after a number of years of poor storage had begun to crack and flake, but after a few touch ups and a brown wash come up quite nicely.

C an D Companies. D is lacking an important element.
I didn't have enough painted figures available to make up a command infantry stand for D company, so when I start painting up the support elements for this battalion, I will paint up an additional command infantry stand.

The replacement Battalion command stand, and the gun crew stand for the Six Pdr.

I did paint up a battalion command stand, as having one makes the unit a great deal more playable, plus it gives me an excuse to paint up an officer from the Matchbox British Infantry set. I have always liked the figure, and should I paint up some RAF types I might just add one of these painted in blue into the mix.

14 comments:

  1. It's been years since I bought any Airfix Plastics but they were a staple part of my childhood. Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airfix soldiers bring back happy childhood memories for me too!

      Delete
  2. Looking good, and I like the officer in the leather coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice figure - the Matchbox set has quite a few nice officer poses.

      Delete
  3. nice work. they look good but the guns seem a bit overly shiny in some cases. nothing major though. great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gowan - put it down to the joys of running out of matt varnish and having to use a Tamiya semi gloss. and then using flash for the photos!

      Delete
  4. Nicely painted. Classic figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al - the original painter did a nice job on them. Its a shame Airfix lost the mould.

      Delete
  5. Looking very good Brian. Airfix are always special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger! - Airfix figures do indeed have a special charm to them.

      Delete
  6. Airfix WW2 infantry have a character all their own. My favorites are the 2nd generation 8th Army figures. I believe I have quite a few of the older generation Airfix dudes (NW Europe and Desert War) kicking around, as well. The older generation bren gunner looks terrible, but with simple changes, makes a very acceptable Boys ATRifle man.

    The 1st generation Vickers should not be used as a Vickers, but can be adapted into the Soviet MMG with addition of wheels. I recall John Sandars was highly critical of the 2nd generation Vickers as well, but I've put them to use, modifying some in the 'down' position, and some of the gunners in the sitting position. These modifications won't stand close scrutiny, but they'll do.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibilities offered by Airfix figures for conversions are unlimited!

      Delete
  7. Good execution on these Brian. Well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting more CD units is always worth a bit of effort!

      Delete