Christmas has been and gone, but it proved to have been a very nice one! On the wargaming front I was given a few ex JB Models Airfix kits, which will prove useful for Harad. I also received a Kindle Fire which will also prove useful on the gaming front - both for research and for in game referencing of PDFs.
|Sometimes potential is rather hidden.|
Whilst shopping before Christmas I came across this rather garnish toy house. I presume that it is a knockoff of another item - the main hint being that it has cast on it half a latch and hinge system but not the other half of the item. It screamed potential.
|It came with furnishings. I have a plan on how to use these as well...|
My plan was to see if I could turn it in to a suitable BUA for AWI Volley and Bayonet games. This meant that I could tinker with the way I left the open space open on the stand. Rather than having enough room for a full Brigade stand on the base, as I normally do, I instead left room for two Regiment stands to be side by side.
|Lucky Products Hessians inspect the house.|
|Plenty of room on the inside.|
I removed the stickers festooning the house inside and outside, and then sprayed the the whole thing with nice brown spray paint - inside and outside!
|Now in a less painful brown colour!|
I then mounted it on a base after hacking off any overhanging bits and crudely applied some bogging where required.
|Quickly added plastic card - My favourite cladding solution!|
Some white plastic card was affixed to the back and was hacked to size.While not an elegant solution, it is a very functional one, especially give the constraints of the V&B BUA base size.
|A rather more sedate colour scheme!|
I then applied paint, wash, and a new white picket fence for the the front of the yard.
|A closer look.|
The back was painted in a way that I hope will look streaky and washed out, and hopefully drawing attention away from the neat straight up and down lines. I considered making the lines go side to side but decided that vertical would look better.
|Poorly white washed at the rear with two stands of Airfix Americans.|
Of course the main effort I am looking for is that of troops behind a fence, in front of a white pillared house.
|A much better view - the BUA garrisoned by Airfix figures.|
So a rather quick and cheerful conversion ready for the tabletop! Now I just have to paint up some more AWI troops!
Very clever stuff!ReplyDelete
Thanks NIck, I am quite pleased with it!Delete
Amazing transformation! And it does 'fit' one's imagined impression of New World domestic architecture.ReplyDelete
I know it isn't really suited to your project, but I might have gone in for 2 of these with the view to placing them back to back as a complete building. Or they can be placed on the edge of a table to suggest outskirts of a town, the rest of which lies off-table. This would work best on an edge that is placed against a wall, say.
Alas Ion, they only had one that I could see, otherwise I would be showing off two BUAs! Your idea sounds very good and would create a very good effect. The other idea you have about it being placed up against a wall is making me think about looking for some (or something similar) next time I am in PA and using them on my Father in law's train layout.Delete
Very well done Brian! I really do like what you have done. Works well!ReplyDelete
Thanks Roger! I figured I needed a more upmarket building for my AWI and this seemed to be just the ticket!Delete
Now this works Brian. Well picked and converted!ReplyDelete
Thanks Paul! I hope to have it feature in a game soon.Delete
That's a huge improvement.ReplyDelete
Thanks Andras!, it's amazing what a lick of paint can do to a place!Delete
You have done an excellent work with this toy house !ReplyDelete
Thanks Sam! I am very pleased with how it turned out.Delete
Thanks Al! Now i just need to paint up some more AWI troops!Delete