Thursday 2 January 2014

Airfix Waterloo Farm Set

Currently I am working on rationalising my collection of wargaming buildings. This involves me building new ones, rebasing and/or repairing old ones, and sadly having to deep six items that are too damaged. So far it has proved to be an interesting and positive experience.

The front of the farm.
 The Airfix Waterloo Farm building have been used by me for all manner of buildings over the years, but I had never gotten around to basing them once i had painted them. So I touched up the paint job, gave it a lick of brown wash, put it on a base, and added some stick down paving for the courtyard.

The farm from the side.
 Naturally the complex is much larger than a single BUA template in Volley and Bayonet, (it's about 3 and 3/4 times bigger) but the court yard isn't able to hold the 3 plus brigade stands (or 6+ regiment stands that it should hold under the rules. However, I will figure something out.
.
The farm from the rear.

The farm from the other side.

The main thing is that I have a rather nice terrain piece that is going to survive better now that it has a base. Plus for CD purposes, there is no issue at all!


Of course now I need to track down a set of the Waterloo Accessories (click here to see them over at PSR) so I can have some nice farm wagons to go with it!

12 comments:

  1. I really should do the same Brian but I find using the separate buildings too useful.

    Note to self buy another set!

    Nice work on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! When I bought this one, I also purchased another that I separated into individual buildings.

      Delete
    2. And your one was well worth the wait!
      Link to Paul's blog post:
      http://plasticwarriors.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/waterloo-farmhouse-redux.html

      Delete
  2. Back in the early 70's I saved up and sent away to Britain for one of these. Took about 6 months to get here too. Still got it but it needs a repaint! Like what you have done, very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger! I'm sure once you give it a repaint it will look fantastic!

      Delete
  3. I had one of these (who knows what became of it?) which as I recall was used for every period from 500BC to the 1970s. Except Napoleonic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim! I have found it makes a passable Roman villa - but I have managed to use it in a few Napoleonic games, but mainly it has featured in WW2 games.

      Delete
  4. A useful piece, no error, but I feel that I would have left it in its individual parts... But I'm just big on flexibility. Nice paint work, and I like the paving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ion! I did get another set that I seperated into individual buildings, but I always felt that I should have a complete farm made up. The paving is foam sticker stuff that I got from a Model Railway shop in Northlands.

      Delete
  5. I bought mine back when it first came out. I still have it, but only ever got around to partially constructing it. The challenge was to create a base as you have done, but also to maintain flexibility. A great model and yours has come up superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SoY! It is rather a nice kit! I solved my flexibility issues by getting one that I separated into individual buildings

      Delete