Monday 6 January 2014

Matchbox Juggernaut and MPCVs

Back in July of 2012 I made a post about some Matchbox toys that I would be repainting with a view for using them for gaming.(click here to see that post) I have just recently finished painting them.

A rather large vehicle.

My normal method of repainting die casts is to drill the rivets out, disassemble, and then spray the appropriate sections with grey primer. These had the added step in between the disassembly and priming stage of sitting in a box for a year and a half.

Close up on the large yellow thing.

I still plan to use this beast to run some linked games loosely based on the premise of the novel "Juggernaut" (click here for more information on the novel) In CD terms the truck and trailer will be around half a mile long, so I intend to have it represent a small convoy of associated cargo and pilot vehicles.

The view from the front. 


The Matchbox MPCV is quite a nice die cast vehicle which has been produced to box scale. as such it is difficult to give a scale any closer than "Large HO' or "Looks workable". Various reviews on the internet have given it a variety of scales - the major commonality of the reviews has been that it is very usable for the reviewers preferred figure size-  be it 15mm or 20mm. Such is the joy of box scale!

A rather useful addition to my forces!

Two of them parked side by side.

All of these were dry bushed with Vallejo Dark Sand, and then given a brown wash. I just need to hunt through the plastic stash to find some suitable figures to create some engineer stands to go with them. I think  a suitable figure might be the one in the EOD suit from the "German Crisis Reaction Forces (KRK)" set by Revel (click here for the PSR review)

Another view of the two MPCVs.
Now I have to get back to making buildings!

12 comments:

  1. Very good work Brian. I like the look of those MPCV's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Now I just have to do the engineer stands.

      Delete
  2. Me too, I like the paintwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al! The wash makes most things look good!

      Delete
  3. Very nice work on these Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger! I am quite pleased with how well they turned out.

      Delete
  4. Looking very fine - is that a diesel locomotive on the back of the juggernaut? Just got back from grocery buying, and a quick dive into the Warehouse unearthed one of them there MPCVs. Methinks the Tchagai Engineer Corps (TEC) is becoming a well equipped outfit!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ion, it's meant to be a large generator thingy. I stuffed up the paint job I wanted to do, so tried to make it look worn and travel soiled. Good on you for picking up a MPCV - your engineers will thank you!

      Delete
  5. P.S. Still thinking about P&S. If you reckon 3 or 4 foote battalia is enough for an army, I think I might take the plunge. But maybe before we get all rash about it we ought to have a play test with the profiles (stands) and a few identifying figures? Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Me again.

    ReplyDelete