Sunday 8 April 2012

BritishTank Refurbishment. Pt. 1

A motley collection of British Armour.
 Recently I acquired (and in few cases reacquired) a number of 1/72 and 1/76 scale British tanks. Since I was also in the process of making up the Airfix Sherman Crab Tank, I decided that I would spray them, take some pictures and put them up on the blog.
Airfix Churchill in background. Foreground is an Airfix Sherman that has been modified to represent a Sherman Tulip of the Coldstream Guards during the Rhine crossings of 1945.

Another view of the same tanks. The Sherman tracks will be replaced by strips of plastic binding, if the spares box can't yield spare tracks.

Background: Matchbox Fireflies, Midground: Airfix Shermans, Foreground: Matchbox Comet.
Once these tanks were spread out, the spraying could begin!
Now all 13 tanks are in a nice uniform primer grey!

Centre: The Airfix Sherman Crab. Notice that all the fails have been removed.
The Airfix Sherman crab comes with the fails cast in a 'spinning' action pose. This is not the look I want for my vehicle as I like the idea of having the chains hanging down and have seen nice versions of this in the past, and at least one modification of the Airfix kit to achieve the same result.

11 comments:

  1. that is alot of tanks. I hope I win that bidding war or else I will feel inadiquate with only a truck and a single tank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou, still great work there. and even if I do win my armor will never be able to with stand the advane of your metal death machines

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The secret is having something more important to procrastinate about.

      Delete
  3. good post, I like to see things restored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restoring is often cheaper than buying brand new... and I'm nothing if not cheap!

      Delete
  4. I'm very envious - I'm trying to get together enough Shermans for Guards Armd in MARKET-GARDEN. Just want enough for a complete battalion at CD-scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up the TOE for that - You are going to need a fair few Shermans for that!

      Delete
  5. Whoo hoo lots of good examples of the classic British plastic armour.

    Its always great to see the refurbishing of old kits.

    The spray looks nice and fine. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that grey primer can cover up many faults in second hand armour!

      Delete