Saturday 14 April 2012

Flakpanzer Rebuild

A heavily painted Eidai Mk IV.
Much like the Mobelwagen, Wirbelwinds were also constructed from damaged Panzer Mk IVs that were returned from the front for repairs. given that, I felt it was only fitting to turn this model into a Wirbelwind, especially since I had a spare Eidai Wirbelwind turret in my bits box.
Panzer parts awaiting cleaning and reuse.

Since the model was a snap together kit, and glue hadn't been used on the kit (other than on the Brumbar superstructure that I had earlier removed), it came apart easily for its bath in Simple Green.Enamel paint generally just peels off  after a soak in Simple Green, but acrylic paints don't always come off that easily. giving the parts a scrub often helps. I am tempted to see how Dettol works after seeing it being used successfully here over at Jim Duncan's blog.

The parts are left to soak in Simple Green overnight and are then scrubbed with an old toothbrush to aid the paint removal process.

After a scrub and a rinse in cold water, the parts are ready for reassembly.
Once the parts were clean(er) and dry, they could be reassembled back into a partial MK IV, and then have plastic card used to make up the superstructure, visors and hatches needed to make up the hull before the turret could be mounted.
Now much clear looking! WIP Haradi horse in the back.
Having donated its muffler thingy it needs a new one.
A plastic runner is the source of the replacement muffer. The one shown belongs to a Eidai StuG IV awaiting restoration.

 The upper deck is assembled using plastic card cut and measured to the 'looks about right' method. since this a quick and dirty rebuild, I figured that I could use quick and dirty methods.

Upper hull sides glued in place. The turret awaits placement.
Drivers visor is added to front of upper hull.

Top is glued in place. A hole is cut for the turret pin.
Hatches are added.
Testing the turret location and movement.
The muffler/exhaust is replaced.
A comparison of the two Flakpanzers.
From here it only remains to spray paint the vehicle, and then paint it up in the same fashion as the other Flakpanzer. This has been a rebuilding project that I have been meaning to do for quite some time, so I am quite pleased that I have managed to do it so quickly.

9 comments:

  1. That is really well done Brian. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see that Simple Green took the paint off easily enough!

    Mind you a bit of left over paint on the plastic just adds to the illusion that the Mark IV is a recycled battle damaged tank. Overpainting it creates a 'used before' effect!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does work well, but I am going to see how Dettol works, as it might be cheaper. I have overpainted old models before, normally to reflect a change in ownership, but the many coats of paint on this model were obscuring the detail on the model. Had the old paint job been better, overpainting would have been an option.

      Delete
  3. Very cool, Paul uses oven cleaner which works quite well also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that, but have yet to try it. I have used brake fluid in the past too, but I am trying to avoid using caustic stuff these days.

      Delete
  4. Super effort Brian. Really well done and great use of spares.

    10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great work. I like your rebuild alot.

    I have a question: what type of card did you use? I am using some for my tank but it would be nice for a recomendation. also it might help to know where you got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gowan, first reply was eaten by blogger.... So here is the short version :) The card I used was a type of plastic card, sometimes called sheet styrene. it is available at most model shops in NZ, and as a Gale Force Nine product where ever GW and Battlefront stuff is sold - Toyworlds, etc. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. thanks that should help alot. though my tank project has been cancelled for complexity issues I shall find many uses for this product I am sure

      Delete